9.30.2009

mom's sound advice and my vanity

I've been in a bit of a rut lately, like I can't get motivated and I'm just waiting for something to happen. Something to look forward to or get me excited. Is that awful? Maybe it's because I'm usually pregnant by now. Well, not last time, Noah was 9 months when I was expecting Austin. But we're getting there. We decided to wait a little longer this time, for my sanity and the good of the family, though I'm not sure how long. I'll keep you posted on that.

Anyway, I just need to get going. Take things up a notch. Get this place really clean, gear up for winter. Part of the problem is that I feel the urge to be really productive, but there are all these little people around that prevent that from happening. These adorable little boys who just want to be by me all the live long day, or away from me making mayhem.

Yesterday I walked in the room to find Jack with a light saber, Noah with a toy gun, and Taylor with a bat. Before I said anything Jack said: Mom, could you go out of here please?
Me: Why, Jack?
Jack: Because we're playing a mean game and we want to hit each other.

So, you see, they aren't to be left unattended. With only so much time and energy left after they're all in bed, all I can usually manage is to get things back to where they were, very little improvement and nothing very gratifying. What does one do in this situation?

This is the very question I asked Jane this morning, and this is what she said:

"I just get on the computer and start typing a list of everything I want to do, room by room. What to clean, things to fix, everything. I also type in things I need to accomplish like Christmas shopping, etc. Then the task doesn't seem so big, it's more doable and easier to take on.

Divide up the list, figure out which things Bruce (my dad) can do and make a separate list to give to him, then lay out a calender of what I'd like to accomplish off the list each day and stick to it.

Just writing it all down generates an excitement for accomplishing it all and I usually end up getting things done much faster than than I planned on."


Great advice mom, as always. So, today I am going to do it. I prefer a notepad and pen I think, always have. Let's get to it.

ps. so I have a question, not on the topic at all. Here's a picture Jack took of me while I was on the computer...so serious. But it happens to be of my more attractive side, so I'm willing to share it with you. The other side of my face is less attractive. It's true. Which begs the question, is that true for everyone? (or just those of us vain enough to notice?) Just wondering...

8 comments:

  1. That is good advice. I made a list this morning and now I am already stuck in a rut.

    You are so cute! I think everyone has a good side. Sean is aware of my better side at first he thought I was being vain but now he is just used to me scrolling through and deleting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think most people have a good side. You look so serious and cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you don't mind, I wanted to check out your blog! :) You have a very cute family! Your kids are so cute. And I agree about the good sides - except my good "side" is the front of my face with no angle at all. I hate my profile! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its Kylie, I just don't feel like logging out of the business email.

    You crack me up! I too like the side of my face that my hair is parted on. Seems like the other side is just too much hair. Or maybe I really don't like that side of my face, so I part my hair so that it covers it. hehe

    Jane's suggestion is so organized! Dean would love it if I could be that productive. My suggestion is to find a YW in your ward, and pay/bribe/beg her to come over a couple afternoons a week to make sure your boys don't get into too much trouble, and then you can lock yourself in a different room and force yourself to get something done. Works like a charm! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must be vain too because I also feel like I have a more attractive side. I have decided that the face is not completely symmetrical, even though it looks that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad I'm not the only one!

    That's great advice Kylie. I already have a YW from our ward who loves to come play with the boys. I just need to put her visits to better use!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad you emailed me!!! I am from the mamasource! Our lives are so much alike it is crazy!!! But I have 1 boy and 3 girls! Amen on the being in a rut and not getting anything done that you want too. I feel like I am treading water and going no where. We moved about 4 weeks before I had my daughter(about 8 weeks ago) and we were planning selling the house we were moving into(it was a rental property for us for while) so we boxed up everything we owned and put it in the garage now we are not moving and I have to unbox everything all while trying to keep a newborn happy and 3 others out of trouble!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your boys are so cute! Looking at your blog and seeing all the fun pics makes me think your life is just FULL of fun and not a boring moment... I like how you tell it how it really is though... it's refreshing :)

    PS. My cousing came to visit me (she lives in Raleigh, NC) and said the other day- Hey there's a girl in my ward who knows you... her name's MARYANNE! Crazy, huh??! I need to add her on fb...

    ReplyDelete

what do you think?