10.05.2009

Bargains = Blessings

I went to a yard sale on Saturday morning. The stuff all looked pretty nice, but nothing was priced. I noticed a sled that looked like it was in perfect condition and remembered last year. We never did buy a sled because I couldn't bring myself to pay $10 for a piece of junk. Not wanting to repeat the past, I asked how much it was. "oh, a dollar?" said the lady. "great!" I said picking it up. "What about these sheets?" I asked. "Oh, free." Sold! Liking the pricing so far, I continued browsing. And then I saw them.

Two matching twin head boards that I
LOVED with all my heart. Had I gone into a store full of beds, I would have picked these in a heartbeat.

"I LOVE these! How much are they?"

"Oh, I don't know, what do you think?"

I should explain that things are a bit tight lately, and while I've been really wanting to get Jack and Taylor into bigger beds (they're in toddler beds), I didn't really NEED them...I sat deliberating for a minute, but the thing is, I really hate making an offer. I don't mind asking for a better deal if I'm not willing to pay what they ask. All they can do is say no. But I don't want to offend someone with a low offer if they are thinking WAY more than I'm able to pay.

"I really don't know, what do you think?"

"Oh, five dollars?...we have the frames for them."

I didn't contain my excitement. I think she could tell it was lower than I dared to hope, but it made her feel good that I loved them so much. She sold me a mattress set and 2 sets of bedding for $25 and we got another mattress set for $10. So in total I spent $45 and have two beautiful, surprisingly clean and comfortable beds for my little boys. Noah was able to move into Jacks old toddler bed and now the crib is ready for Austin, just as he is outgrowing the co-sleeper.

I know I'm a dork to get so excited about this sort of thing, but I see it as a blessing. I said a prayer of gratitude all the way home. It often happens that I am blessed in little ways like this, and I feel that Heavenly Father is very aware of my wants and needs. I just hope my eyes will always be able to see these tender mercies for what they are and not just write things off as good fortune or coincidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

what do you think?