12.20.2009

pictures from mom's computer

I'm here in Washington with very limited internet capabilities.  It takes an hour to upload photos, I swear.  Nonetheless, in browsing through the pictures on my parents computer I found some from my mom's trip down for Austin's birth.

I had a false alarm, so my mom flew down before he was born.  But she only had a set amount of days she could be away from home.  Those five days were full of anticipation, frustration, prayer, impatience, some enjoyment, desperation and chubbiness.  I was dying, wanting to go into labor so my mom could meet Austin before she had to fly home.  I tried everything I could think of to induce labor.  One night we had a prenatal party with my sisters and their boyfriends. We did prenatal yoga and they all wore pillows in their shirts.

But when I look back on that visit, I totally regret all the time I wasted being consumed by the desire to just HAVE THAT BABY.  We did have fun, but everything was overshadowed by my stress.  I feel like I spent more time timing contractions than just enjoying the company while I had it.     

My mom was scheduled to leave on Wednesday at noon.  Austin was born Wednesday at 6 am.  Unable to tear herself away from her fresh grandson, she stayed two extra days.  And now, at this moment, he is sleeping in my lap. And my mom is playing Settlers of Catan with my husband and siblings in the next room.  And all my stress during those long five days was for naught.  He's here, she's here and all has worked itself out.  This post may not make much sense.  It's been a long, full, wonderful day.  I'm really enjoying the company.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I sooo know what those 5 days before birth are like! Maybe it's because my labor never starts on its own and so I'm usually watching the due date pass and waiting in frustration to hit the 1 week overdue point so I can be induced. And one time my mom flew in because we both thought I would have the baby and we spent a week hanging out. She left the day after I got home from the hospital with the baby. So much for her coming to help after the baby arrived! I wish I could say I had a great time living it up with her there, but I'm afraid I spent most of it hating the fact that I was STILL pregnant. Next time I'll remember this post of yours and enjoy the journey with a little better attitude.

    Oh and PS it's almost eerie to me now each time I read your blog we have so much in common. I love you Natalie! You are a woman after my own heart! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post Natalie...at the second to last paragraph, I was getting a little nervous that your Mom wasn't going to be there for Austin's birth...phewf! Also loved the first picture....AND the prenatal yoga party...your family sounds like so much fun....hmmm...do you think prenatal yoga party's are fine if you're not preggo? MERRY CHRISTMAS Natalie :) Enjoy your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really sweet post. :) It's true that we go through life worrying too much instead of enjoying what's happening at the time. I know that that is certainly true for me.

    ReplyDelete

what do you think?