8.13.2012

two week update

Jane.
I can't believe how fast time is going.  Jane is over 2 weeks old.  She has been sweet and sleepy and calm amidst the whirlwind of visitors and activity.  My family drove down last Saturday and stayed for a week. It was heaven. Today it's just us, the seven of us, here at home.  Four of my six are actually napping.  This is usual for Adam and Jane, but Taylor and Austin were being horrible so I insisted that they get some rest too.  Noah and Jack are playing legos downstairs and I'm trying to take advantage of this quiet minute before things get bustling again.

Jane is the sweetest little girl ever.  She eats so well, never spits up, fusses very little, sleeps like a champ (although it is often in with me because I fall asleep nursing her), loves baths, smiles so often it seems like she means it, but has a good set of pipes that she is not shy about using if she needs to.  I am crazy about her.

The boys seem to be adjusting well...except Adam.  He was already going through a violent phase before she was born, and he's managed to bite her twice, scratch her once, and bonk her a few times.  I don't know what to do except keep him away from her.  It's not just her, either.  He kept attacking my friend's little girl the other day, and will sometimes beat up on his older brothers too.  They think it's funny and call him the Warrior, which is probably a huge part of the problem.   I'm just not sure how to handle it, so if anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears.  Austin loves her.  He said "He likes me so much, and I LOVE him."  Every now and then he'll call her "she" but mostly not, and I love it.  He knows she's a girl, but hasn't had much experience with feminine pronouns.

School starts too soon.  I still haven't bought any supplies and I really want one more month to just get my feet under me.  I was surprised to see that only one of Jack's good friends from last year will be in his first grade class, but he seems fine with it.  Taylor will have Jack's teacher from last year and I'm so glad.  I think it will be a good fit.  I meet Jack's teacher on Thursday and am hoping she'll be as great.

Time is up=)

 


6 comments:

  1. Jane makes me ache for another one! She is precious! You are such a wonderful mother, what a blessing you are to so many children. Wish we lived closer! Like next door neighbors ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, she is precious! I have been thinking of you guys lately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! All of the pictures above look so different. Like she is changing and growing by the minute. My favorite is the last one...she is looking right up at you! What a doll baby. I wish I had some advice about little Adam. I do remember both my youngest and my oldest son going through that about age 2. My theory is little boys sometimes have surges of testosterone that they don't quite know what to do with...so they hit and act out. I bet your Mom has some good advice. I've learned much from her.

    Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. many, many congratulations on your sweet babe! I loved reading the moving story of her birth - and those family pictures the morning after she was born? Beyond words. I am amazed by you - as always! Hope rest continues to sneak in here and there =) Much love to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my goodness--she is so adorable!! And i just finally read your birth story and oh my dear--you are incredible! It all just seemed like a little storybook and the boys slept thru it all and woke up to a new sister! crazy! crazy cool! and amazing! What a blessing. So not sure if you got my email, but I'll be out your way on Friday and wanted to stop by real quick around 11-ish in the morning-does that work? Hope to see you soon--xoxo, Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  6. My only suggestion for Adam is to be patient with him as he adjusts to his new role as big brother. The others got a chance to practice on all those boys before you got your perfect girl and he wants to make sure you remember him, too. When my kid are at odds with each other, especially the baby, I always say things like "Who hurt MY cami?" or "Who hurt MY katie-a-roo?" I try to help them understand that while we like to think the baby belongs to the WHOLE family, there's only one mom and she will NOT tolerate anyone hurting her baby. Then I give them a chance to show me how to touch gently. And then I keep my eyes out so they don't get too close. Playpens were invented for a reason. =)

    ReplyDelete

what do you think?