2.27.2009

Tays

Taylor is my middle child and I am often wondering if I have done right by him, squishing him in between brothers with barely over a year on each side. There has never been a reason for me to worry, I mean, he's never seemed unhappy with the situation or shown signs of neglect. But still I worry too much and maybe even overcompensate a bit. If I feel like I've been too hard on him one day I feel doubly guilty and again question myself as a parent. This has always been so, and who knows how long this will go on.

But today was a good day with Tays, we've had a couple of really good days now actually and I am excited about it. The thing is, Tays is very sweet but also very stubborn so I felt like we were butting heads way too often and it was frusterating and discouraging.

The other night when it was time to change his diaper I called him over again and again, nice at first, then began threatening a time out. It was late, I was tired and my patience was lacking. Kev stepped in and said "hey tays, can you be a good good boy for mom?" He came right over with a big smile. Since then I've committed to make each interaction with him as positive as possible and it has made a huge difference. I know, I know...Duh...of course it would. But especially with his personality, criticism, threats, punishment aren't nearly as effective as loading on the love and positive encouragement. He's just been dlightful, happy, and helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

what do you think?