1.07.2010

Shyanne

Last night I was up all night with Austin, who has a fever and stuffy nose. As I lay there with my baby I thought about Shyanne. She is the youngest daughter of some family friends and I met her for the first time on Christmas Eve. She was born with many severe health problems and 2 days ago her team of doctors told her parents that after 4 months of fighting for life, Shyanne was losing the battle. There was nothing more they could do.

This morning my mom told me that Shyanne passed away in the night. I ache for her parents, they were so crazy about her. I remember when I visited home over the summer I ran into her mom at a church picnic. I was so happy to see that she was expecting a baby. Her 4 year old had battled cancer but was doing well and they were so excited to bring another baby into their family. They were both so happy and hopeful and I was thrilled to see that after having gone through so much, it seemed like only sunny skies lay ahead. The Lord does know best, even when we don't understand. And they know they will see her again, but that doesn't make this easy.

And as they plan the funeral for thier tiny little girl, I sit in my house with my four little boys. I feel almost like I am on holy ground. I feel blessed to hold Austin all day. Every time I look into his eyes I am grateful for this day I have with him. I'm grateful for the night I just spent with him. I'm grateful for amazing people who go through hard things with faith and understanding and the lessons that I learn from them. May I never forget. I don't know what this life has in store for me, but I am so grateful to have this day with my boys.

3 comments:

  1. I love your perspective on life. You are wise beyond your years. I think I told you that before but it is true! Being grateful for what we have here and now is the trick to a happy life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder. It helped me dispel some mounting frustration I was feeling about the never-ending nature of housekeeping and the lack of time-off I get as a mom. Self-pity never really helps anything, and for some sad reason, it sometimes takes hearing a worse plight to appreciate my own. I think today will be a better day because of the things you made me think about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been reading your blog regularly for some time but have never commented. I really enjoy your humor, storytelling, and advice that isn't couched as "advice." Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

what do you think?